Home Police Reports

Couple found dead of heat stroke

A 61-year-old man and 55-year-old woman were found dead in their living room on the 1000 block of Tree Street Tuesday, police said.

John Vahey and Elizabeth Peltz died of heat stroke, according to Jeff Moran, director of communications for the Heath Department. Peltz suffered from multiple sclerosis, police said. The Medical Examiner’s Office was performing an autopsy on the pair yesterday.

A neighbor who came to check on the couple found them dead in their recliners around 12:30 p.m.

Henry Vahey, John’s brother, told police the couple’s air conditioner had been broken for weeks and that a new motor was delivered just this week, but had not been installed.

The deaths bring the total of heat casualties in Philadelphia this summer to 32, said police.

Man shoots self between legs

Police arrested a 35-year-old man and charged him with weapons violations after he shot himself in the penis and left testicle Tuesday, police said.

Carlton Lyles, a resident of the 6100 block of North Woodstock Street, was staying at a house on the 1500 block of South Taney Street when the incident occurred around 3:50 a.m., said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detective Division.

Lyles originally told police he was shot during a robbery attempt, but an investigation by South Detectives revealed the man accidentally shot himself. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Driver has seizure, hits two

A 76-year-old man lost control of his car during a diabetic seizure Saturday night and crashed into a woman and her 3-year-old daughter sitting outside their home, police said.

Leroy Hill was driving on the 800 block of Webster Street around 5:30 p.m. when he lost control of his 1992 Chevrolet and careened into five parked cars before jumping the curb and hitting the woman and child, said Sgt. George Golden of the Accident Investigation Division.

The car rolled over on its side after striking the victims, said Golden.

The driver was taken to Hahnemann University Hospital, said Golden. Earlier this week, he was listed in serious condition. The 32-year-old woman was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and treated for bruises to her legs and arms. Her child was not injured, said Golden.

A preliminary investigation revealed the driver appeared to have gone into diabetic shock, said Golden.

Burglars target museum

Sometime between 11:30 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. Monday, robbers broke into the Mummers Museum and helped themselves to some office equipment, police said.

When museum director Palma Lucas arrived at the building at Second Street and Washington Avenue on Monday morning, she noticed the first-floor rear door had been unlocked. Thieves took a computer, printer and VCR, said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detectives.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.

Holy robbers

When Emmanuel Lutheran Church officials showed up for Sunday services around 6:50 a.m., they must have been shocked to find the church office ransacked.

Police said between noon Saturday and Sunday morning, thieves forced open the first-floor front doors of the church at 1001 S. Fourth St.

The culprits made off with two computers and a CD player, said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detectives.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.

Accused child-stalker commits suicide

Authorities have ruled that an alleged sexual predator found dead in his car earlier this month committed suicide.

Police found John D. Nardini, 32, inside his parked 1996 Honda across from Girard Park at 21st and Shunk streets around 6 p.m. Aug. 10, said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detectives. The motor was running and the heat was on full blast, police said.

The Medical Examiner’s Office determined that he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The suspect was arrested in both Philadelphia and Bucks County in connection with incidents involving young girls, said police. In April, he allegedly accosted a 7-year-old girl inside Boscov’s at Franklin Mills, police said. Then, on June 17, store security video showed Nardini wandering the aisles of the children’s department at Kohl’s in Lower Makefield, reports stated.

Later that day, Nardini, who was living in Northeast Philadelphia at the time, was arrested by two Philadelphia sheriffs when he returned to Franklin Mills.

Police charged him with two counts of indecent assault and two counts of corrupting a minor.

After posting $150,000 bail, Nardini was released from prison shortly before his death.

Exit mobile version