Home Police Reports

Man guilty in rape behind hospital

The defendant claimed he happened on the scene after the victim was attacked. He faces 50 years in prison.

A jury on Friday convicted Tramaine Hicks, 26, of raping a woman behind St. Agnes Medical Center last November.

Hicks, of the 6900 block of Woodland Avenue, will be sentenced Dec. 20. He faces a maximum of 50 years in prison, said Sybil Scott-Murphy, the assistant district attorney who tried the case. The District Attorney’s Office will push for a "healthy" sentence for Hicks that is close to the maximum for rape, aggravated assault and related charges, she said.

The victim, a 39-year-old Asian woman, testified during the trial with the help of a Cantonese interpreter. Even though she could not identify her attacker, Scott-Murphy said she felt the victim’s appearance on the stand swayed the jury in her favor.

The rape occurred around 5 a.m. Nov. 28 as the victim was walking on the 1900 block of South 15th Street on her way to work, reports stated. The attacker beat the woman with a .38-caliber pistol and dragged her behind a trash bin. There, he sexually assaulted her.

Neighbors heard the woman’s cries and called 911. Two Fourth District officers arrived and found Hicks standing over the victim, whose pants were pulled down, police said. The officers told Hicks to freeze, but he lunged toward them and attempted to run.

One of the officers fired at Hicks, striking him three times in the chest and torso. Police reported they found Hicks’ gun in his pocket, covered with the victim’s blood.

Both the victim and attacker were hospitalized. The victim has recovered from her physical injuries, Scott-Murphy said.

Hicks took the stand during his trial and testified that he arrived on the scene after the attack and was trying to assist the victim when police shot him, Scott-Murphy said.

"He said his curiosity just got the best of him," she said. "He was being nosy, and he went up there just to see what was going on."

Man shot, found dead in car

Police found a 24-year-old gunshot victim in his car on the 2700 block of Vare Avenue around 1:15 a.m. Friday.

Tashon Thornton, of West Philadelphia, had been shot multiple times in the torso and was reportedly slumped in the driver’s seat of his Pontiac sedan. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and pronounced dead just before 2 a.m.

To report information, call the Homicide Unit at 215-686-3334.

Pair shot in Point Breeze

Two 19-year-olds were shot as they walked on the 900 block of South 20th Street on Saturday night, police said.

A male was shot multiple times in the back and legs, and his female companion was shot once in the back, said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detective Division. Both were taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and admitted in critical condition, the sergeant added.

Police are seeking two gunmen in the 11:30 p.m. incident.

By Tuesday, both victims had improved enough to be able to talk to investigators, Biello said. Police are still searching for a motive.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.

Teen arrested for firing gun

Police arrested a 19-year-old male for allegedly shooting at a passerby’s vehicle following an argument between him and the driver Friday afternoon.

The driver, also a 19-year-old male, was headed westbound on the 600 block of McKean Street around 2 p.m., said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detectives. A 30-year-old female was his passenger, Biello said.

At the intersection of Seventh and McKean streets, the driver got into a fight with a group of males standing at the corner, reports stated. One of the males allegedly pulled a handgun and fired several shots into the complainant’s car, the sergeant said.

Neither of the car’s occupants were injured, Biello said.

Police responding to the call arrested Anthony Turner, of the 500 block of Pierce Street. They found in his possession a .357 magnum revolver, Biello said. Turner has been charged with two counts each of aggravated and simple assault, as well as firearms violations and related offenses.

Nabbed in newsstand heist

A man who allegedly pulled a fake gun and robbed a newsstand at 1700 S. Broad St. earlier this week has been arrested, police said.

The robber allegedly approached the 45-year-old owner of Sam’s Newsstand at 9:30 a.m. Monday and demanded money while pointing a phony weapon, said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detectives.

The victim told police the robber grabbed $50 and fled on foot. Seventeenth District officers caught up to the suspect on the 1300 block of Mifflin Street, Biello said.

John DiCelementi, 43, from the 1800 block of Carlisle Street, is charged with robbery, theft, receiving stolen property and related offenses.

Bike burglars strike twice

Robbers using bicycles for their getaway struck twice Monday, police said.

The first holdup occurred at 1:30 p.m. on the 1800 block of East Passyunk Avenue. A young man entered the Star is Born clothing shop, pushed a store employee and demanded money, said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detectives.

The employee told police the robber stole $2,000 from the cash register and took off on a blue bicycle.

The second incident was an attempted robbery on the 1900 block of South Chadwick Street around 6:15 p.m., Biello said.

The robber, believed to be a juvenile, approached a 43-year-old man walking on the street, produced a silver handgun and demanded money, the sergeant said.

The complainant told police he refused to hand over his wallet and kept walking. The robber fled on his bike north on Chadwick Street, Biello said.

Exit mobile version