Shot up in car


Two men were in critical condition earlier this week after suffering multiple wounds to the head and chest.

Two 23-year-olds were ambushed in a hail of gunfire as they sat inside a white Buick LaSabre on the 1600 block of Latona Street, police said.

Both were taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in critical condition, and investigators continue to hunt for the triggerman, said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detective Division.

One of the victim’s cousins found the men Saturday around 3:20 a.m., the sergeant said. Both had suffered gunshot wounds to the chest, eyes and ears, said Biello. One of the victims lives on the block where he was nearly killed. The other man is from the 1500 block of South Mole Street. To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.

Another double shooting

Police arrested two males on charges they shot two other men, leaving one of the victims in critical condition on Dec. 10.

The two 20-year-old victims told police they were walking on the 2100 block of Mifflin Street around 1:50 p.m. when the males — whom they didn’t know — approached near Norwood and Mifflin, said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detectives.

One of the offenders whipped out a gun and unloaded several shots at the two. A bullet grazed one victim’s back, while the other man was shot twice in the back, Biello said. The second victim was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in critical condition.

Later that evening, investigators arrested Tyree Harrison, 18, from the 2100 block of Watkins Street, and Garrick Pryor, 21, from the 1900 block of South Norwood Street, said Biello.

Both face a slew of charges, including attempted murder, aggravated and simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, firearms violations, conspiracy and possession of an instrument of crime, the sergeant said.

As of Tuesday night, detectives had no motive in the shooting, said Biello.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.

Deliveryman wounded

A deliveryman for Southside Pizza put up a fight when two males tried to rob him early Saturday, and ended up shot in the neck, police said.

The 35-year-old victim told police he was making a delivery on the 1500 block of South Stanley Street around 1:20 a.m. when the culprits attempted to rob him at gunpoint, said Sgt. Steve Biello of South Detectives.

The victim refused to comply with the demands for money and even disarmed one of the culprits, but not before being shot, the sergeant said.

Police were called after the victim drove himself to the Housing Police headquarters at 30th and Tasker streets. The victim was taken to HUP, where he was admitted in critical condition, Biello said.

At the scene, detectives recovered one Ruger 9 mm pistol loaded with six live rounds, added the sergeant.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.

Truck driver killed in crash

The driver of an 18-wheeler was killed after his truck slammed into a guardrail and flipped over Friday afternoon.

Michael Malone, 41, from the 8000 block of Frankford Avenue, was pronounced dead at the scene from multiple injuries around 4:30 p.m., said a corporal with the Accident Investigation Division.

Malone was traveling north on Interstate-95, a quarter-mile south of the Walt Whitman Bridge, when police said he lost control of his vehicle. The rig tipped to the right, detaching the cargo container from the truck and sending it and the driver sailing over the guardrail to the ground below, the corporal said.

No other vehicles were involved in the collision.

Highway patrol officers shut down the stretch of I-95 where the accident occurred for hours, tying up rush-hour traffic in both directions. Northbound drivers were forced to exit the interstate at Broad Street and reenter at Oregon Avenue.

Charges reduced for local man

A 45-year-old man who was arrested after allegedly beating his cousin/lover earlier this month will stand trial Jan. 26, officials said.

Charles Iannece, from the 1100 block of South 10th Street, was arrested Dec. 1 and charged with aggravated and simple assault, possession of an instrument of crime, possession with intent to deliver and possession of a controlled substance, said Sgt. James Schrack of South Detectives.

Last week at Iannece’s preliminary hearing, Municipal Court Judge Felice Stack reduced the two felony charges (aggravated assault and possession with intent to deliver) to misdemeanors, said Cathie Abookire, a spokesperson for the District Attorney’s Office.

Fund for fire victims

A fund has been established at Wachovia Bank, Third Street and Oregon Avenue, for the family who lost their home on the 2600 block of South Sheridan Street in a Nov. 26 fire.

A woman, her boyfriend and six children — ranging in age from 2 months to 8 years — escaped with nothing but the clothes on their backs. The family is staying with relatives in separate locations.

To make non-monetary donations, call Deborah Bennett at 215-389-0210.