Woman stuck in fence dies

The victim’s head was wedged between two posts, but homicide detectives don’t know how she ended up that way.

Whether it was a freak accident, a suicide attempt or murder, investigators couldn’t say by press time.

But a woman who was found Tuesday with her head wedged between two vertical bars of a fence on the 600 block of South 22nd Street died shortly after being extricated, said Officer Maria Ibrahim of the Police Public Affairs Unit.

The victim’s name had not been released by press time because she had no identification on her, police said.

Witnesses made the bizarre discovery and called police. The victim was still breathing when police arrived, but her knees gave out and she started convulsing, then stopped breathing, said Ibrahim.

The woman was taken to Graduate Hospital, where she died at 9:40 p.m.

Local man killed at club

An Oct. 17 nightclub shooting claimed the life of a local man, whom police believe was an accidental victim.

Instead, the bullet was allegedly intended for a bouncer trying to break up an attempted robbery, police said.

A suspect was taken into custody after the 4:15 a.m. shooting at Club Deco, 510 N. Front St.

Joseph Motto, 24, of the 1700 block of South Iseminger Street, was pronounced dead at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital 16 hours after being shot in his abdomen, said Officer Maria Ibrahim of the Police Public Affairs Unit.

Motto was struck by the same bullet that had hit a bouncer, who was shot in his thigh while breaking up an attempted robbery at the club, police said. The bullet exited the 26-year-old bouncer and hit Motto, said Ibrahim.

The bouncer was taken to Hahnemann University Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Shuja Moore, of the 4700 block of Sansom Street, was charged with murder and related offenses, Ibrahim said.

Driven to rage

A man learned the hard way that it’s not a good idea to throw yourself on the hood of a car to prevent your spouse from driving off.

In a desperate attempt to stop his wife from doing just that, a 44-year-old man jumped on the hood of their black 1993 Buick Century last Friday night, said Inspector Bill Colarulo of the Police Public Affairs Unit.

The 43-year-old wife drove for several blocks with her husband on the hood until she slammed on the brakes, causing the man to fall off and hit the ground near Camac and Johnston streets, Colarulo said.

The victim suffered a serious head injury in the 11:40 p.m. incident and was taken to Jefferson Hospital in critical condition, said police.

Lisa Ament, of the 1000 block of Johnston Street, was charged with aggravated and simple assault and possession of an instrument of crime.

Good Samaritan stabbed

The man who tried to break up a domestic fight early Friday was stabbed five times for his efforts, police said.

The 42-year-old victim was in guarded condition at Jefferson Hospital after the 3:15 a.m. stabbing, said Detective Joe Chiaro of South Detective Division.

The victim told police he had spotted the suspect beating his girlfriend in the street and decided to intervene. That’s when the suspect allegedly whipped out a knife and stabbed the victim five times in his upper torso, said Chiaro.

Brian Garvey, 29, of the 2400 block of South Hancock Street, was charged with attempted murder, aggravated and simple assault, reckless endangerment and possession of an instrument of crime.

Detectives recovered a knife.

Iron as weapon

Investigators arrested a woman for allegedly beating her domestic partner with an iron until she lost consciousness.

An argument over whether to have children spawned the violent outburst at 8:30 a.m. Monday on the 1900 block of South 20th Street, said Detective Joe Chiaro of South Detectives.

The 26-year-old victim was treated at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for gashes to her head.

After the suspect allegedly punched and kicked the victim about the head and body, she reached for an iron and continued the beating, Chiaro said.

Alyece Holt, 20, was charged with aggravated and simple assault, reckless endangerment and possession of an instrument of crime.

Local fugitive nabbed

Three of 10 Most Wanted fugitives have been arrested since the police department launched the new initiative two weeks ago.

The latest catch was Jharon Dockery, 19, of the 1200 block of South 28th Street, said Detective Joe Chiaro of South Detectives.

The suspect was arrested without incident around 8:50 p.m. Saturday after South Detectives received an anonymous tip that he was staying in a house on the 2700 block of Latona Street, said the detective.

The fugitive was charged with attempted murder and related offenses for his alleged involvement in a June 28 triple shooting on the 2800 block of Dickinson Street, Chiaro said.

Activist’s house shot up

Almost a week after someone riddled a community leader’s house with bullets on the 2800 block of South Alder Street, the victim is still at a loss for a motive.

"I hope it was the wrong house. I hope to God I wasn’t a target, but it seems that way," said Mike Stuhl, a Democratic committeeman and founder of Bigler Civic Association and Town Watch.

The victim had dozed off on a sofa in his parlor when he was awakened by several bangs around 9 p.m. last Friday, he told the Review.

Stuhl called for his 21-year-old son, who was upstairs at the time. When the young man came downstairs, they discovered someone had shot up their home.

One bullet completely shattered Stuhl’s storm door, while four more ripped through a front parlor window, he said.

"If my son would have come down the steps, he would have gotten it in his head. Lucky I stuck my head down [as I slept], or I would have been a goner," he said.

Stuhl said he’s also thankful that his young grandson did not come over to visit that night as planned.

Detectives are still investigating the incident.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.

Previous articleBicyclist shot dead
Next articleWanted man
Jane Kiefer
Jane Kiefer, a seasoned journalist with a rich background in digital media strategies, leads South Philly Review as its Editor-in-Chief. Originally hailing from Seattle, Jane combines her outsider perspective with a profound respect for South Philly's vibrant community, bringing fresh insights and innovative storytelling to the newspaper.