Man dead after police-involved shooting in Grays Ferry

Two officers from the 17th District were involved in a deadly shooting that occurred on the 1500 block of S. Bailey Street in the Grays Ferry neighborhood early this morning.

According to police, the two officers, who were operating separate patrol cars, responded to a report of gunshots in the area at 12:01 a.m.

Two minutes later, an additional call was reported, indicating more gunshots were heard from the rear of Bailey Street, police said.

The two police officers entered the rear alley from the north side of Bailey Street and began surveying the alley to investigate the gunshots and observed two individuals outside the rear of the property, police said.

Officers removed a piece of plywood, which served as a gate to the yard and found a 22-year-old female and a 33-year-old male, police said.

According to police, the female pointed her weapon at the officers and, in response, both officers discharged their weapons, striking both the female and male, who then fled inside the residence through the rear kitchen door. It was unclear whether the female fired her weapon at the officers.

Both officers pursued the two suspects inside the house. The female discarded her weapon underneath the kitchen table and was apprehended by police. The male fell to the floor in the living room and was also apprehended, police said. Both were transported by police to Penn Presbyterian Hospital for their injuries.

The woman suffered gunshot wounds to her left thigh, left hip and left buttocks and was admitted in stable condition, police said.

The male was shot in the abdomen and was pronounced dead at 1:42 a.m., according to police. An autopsy is scheduled for later today. There were no other reported injuries to police or witnesses.

According to police, multiple firearms were recovered from the scene, including a .380 caliber firearm near the area where the male was apprehended in the living room. Police also recovered one shotgun, one semi automatic .45 caliber handgun, one .38 caliber revolver, one .22 caliber rifle, multiple fired shotgun shells, multiple fired cartridge casings and multiple live rounds of ammunition.

The names of the officers and suspects have not been released due to an ongoing investigation.

“The use of deadly force is the most serious action that police officers are empowered to undertake,” said Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw. “While no police officer begins his or her tour expecting to discharge their firearm, that decision must sometimes be made at a moment’s notice. These situations are often tragic; particularly when they result in the loss of life. As is the case with all officer-involved shootings, we will ensure that a thorough, complete and objective investigation is conducted.”