DA charges teen in deadly attempted burglary at firing range

The District Attorney’s Office has charged a teenager involved in an attempted burglary of a South Philly shooting range that turned deadly.

According to the DA Office, Khaleef Brown, 17, was involved in the attempted burglary of the Firing Line Inc. on the 1500 block of S. Front Street on Tuesday, which resulted in the death of his 29-year-old accomplice.

According to police reports, four men arrived in vehicles and used bolt cutters to break into the property and gain access to the building at approximately 4 a.m. The men proceeded up a staircase to the second floor of the building where the owner of the business was guarding a large cache of firearms and ammunition, police said.

One of the suspects was seen on staircase security cameras carrying a gun. According to police, the armed man and another suspect breached the door at the top of the stairs and entered.

The owner fired three times, striking the 29-year-old armed man, killing him instantly, police said. Brown was also struck by a gunshot in the shoulder. Police said he and the other two men fled the building after the shots were fired.

The deceased suspect was found by 3rd District Police Officers and medics who arrived at the scene.

According to police, shortly after the crime, Brown arrived at Jefferson University Emergency Room in Center City to receive treatment on his shoulder. Police said he lied about his whereabouts and the circumstances of his injury and was quickly connected to evidence connecting him to the crime.

Brown was charged with robbery, burglary, conspiracy, hindering apprehension, possessing an instrument of crime, unsworn falsifying, and obstruction of justice.

The actions of the firing range owner were deemed justified, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

“Brown and others broke into a commercial business that was housing a large amount of firearms and ammunition,” District Attorney Larry Krasner said. “I am grateful to the Philadelphia Police Department for their diligent, thorough investigation and for working hard to respond to dangers to the public during what is an anxious time for so many. The facts we know and the law are clear that the business owner’s use of force while inside his own property against a burglar accompanied by others who was entering with a gun in his hand was justified. It is fortunate for the City of Philadelphia that this large cache of guns and ammunition were not taken and sold on the street.”

The matter remains under active investigation.