The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society announced that gardeners participating in its harvest program have donated 13,285 pounds of produce to help combat “food insecurity.”
As part of the initiative, PHS
- Provides local gardeners, groups and interested individuals with virtual resources on food growing and harvesting, including guides, checklists and ongoing webinars
- Maintains a list of local retailers and nurseries to get supplies and tools
- Connects gardeners through social media channels and remote networking opportunities
- Partners with community-based nonprofits to provide gardening supplies to low-income gardeners
- Creates and engages community growing spaces to encourage increased food production both now and long-term
- Maintains a network of distribution agencies and partners to collect and share produce with local food banks
Those wishing to learn more about harvest can visit http://phsonline.org/harvest.
Individuals and groups interested in participating can register at https://phsonline.org/for-gardeners/harvest/sign-up.
Donations are also welcome and may be made at https://phsonline.org/for-gardeners/harvest/donate-to-harvest.