Home Police Reports

Strange scene

27167917

When police responding to a report of a shooting got to the scene, they found no victims but evidence bullets had been fired.

At about 6:15 p.m. Saturday, officers arrived to the 1800 block of South 30th Street, where they found three fired 9mm casings and damage to the front door of a home, Detective Danielle Tolliver of South Detective Division said.

Bystanders told cops the two victims were taken by private auto to Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. There, the 22- and 23-year-old informed detectives they were chatting outside a home on the block when a silver or gray Buick drove by and someone began firing at them with a black handgun. The vehicle was traveling north on 30th and the gunman shot the rounds from the driver’s-side backseat, Tolliver said.

The younger man suffered a wound to this upper left arm, while the older took a bullet to his right buttock.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.


Shot by strangers

A 16-year-old who took a single bullet to his left buttock told police two men he did not know unloaded the round while riding their bikes down the 1400 block of South 26th Street shortly after 2 a.m. Aug. 18.

Seventeenth District police found the victim on the sidewalk with two good Samaritans who were walking by and, seeing the wounded boy, stopped to help. A medic transported the teen to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in stable condition and investigators recovered various cartridges — caliber undisclosed — at the scene.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.


Unusual weapon

A robber waved a machete at his victim while his accomplice rummaged through the man’s pockets for goods.

The dangerous duo approached the 21-year-old as he walked on the 500 block of Porter Street shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday. One of the perpetrators pulled the large knife from his jacket and began swinging it while demanding money, Detective Danielle Tolliver of South Detectives said. The armed man’s accomplice swiped the victim’s wallet that contained identification and $250 before both took off in a black Dodge Charger, going south on Fourth Street.

The victim was not harmed in the mugging and the perpetrators were described as male, Asian, ages 21 to 24 with medium builds; one had long black hair, the other the same color only short.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.


Two arrested for robberies

Investigators locked up two men they say committed a string of convenience-store heists in less than 21 hours Aug. 20.

My "K" Nguyen, 19, from the 2400 block of South Eighth Street, and Phuong Le, 23, from Williamstown, N.J., were charged with three counts each of criminal conspiracy, possession of an instrument of crime, simple assault, aggravated assault, terroristic threats, robbery, theft, recklessly endangering another person, possession of an instrument of crime and two firearms violations — including carrying on the street and no license.

Nguyen and Le were both arrested 12:20 p.m. Saturday at the former’s residence, Detective Danielle Tolliver of South Detectives said.

The first location the two allegedly hit last Thursday was Dalia’s Grocery, 1033 S. Eighth St., at 1:15 a.m., then a 7-Eleven at 2101 S. 10th St. at 3:14 a.m. before targeting La Manzaneza Grocery, 1434 S. Eighth St., at 10:12 p.m. The modus operandi was to park a white Honda Accord about a block from the stores then to go in and select merchandise to buy, police said. At checkout, Nguyen would allegedly produce a black revolver and announce a stickup. If the cashier hesitated, he would fire a warning shot, police said.

In the Dalia’s robbery, the two allegedly made off with an undisclosed amount of cash while the 7-Eleven heist netted $150 and the La Manzaneza caper wielded 10 packs of cigarettes because the cashier could not open the register due to a glitch with the system, police said. Police believe, after committing the offenses, the two would flee in the Honda.

The day after the robberies, investigators showed the victims photo arrays, Tolliver said. Aug. 22, armed with a search and seizure warrant of Nguyen’s residence, detectives found clothing they believe he wore during the heists, along with a black .38 caliber revolver, police said.

The suspects confessed to the crimes, according to police.

There were no injuries to store employees or patrons at any of the locations.


Indicted for pizza shop heists

A 43-year-old Darby man was indicted Aug. 25 in federal court on seven counts of robbery or the attempted robbery of seven businesses, four of them local pizza shops that were targeted in March.

According to the indictment, Gary Grant faces a maximum sentence of 140 years in prison and $1.75 million in fines for the heists or attempted heists of Two Street Pizza, 1616 S. Second St.; Queen Village Pizza, 825 S. Fourth St.; The Pizza Shack Restaurant, 1500 Porter St.; and Jackson Village Pizza, 2151 S. 22nd St. Other establishments Grant is charged with stealing from, according to the indictment, are an Exxon station at 2330 Aramingo Ave. in February; Father and Son’s Pizza at 2500 Frankford Ave. in April; and Santucci’s Pizza at 4019 O. St., also in April.

The first local incident was 8:35 p.m. March 5. When the owner of the Pizza Shack saw the gun, he ran to the back of the shop, the Police Public Affairs Unit said in March. The offender, later believed to be Grant, fled empty-handed.

The next robbery took place at Two Street Pizza 8:20 p.m. March 7. The offender entered the eatery and pointed a firearm at an employee, police said at the time. Calmly telling her his name was "Maurice," the suspect allegedly gave the worker a bag to fill with cash. Grant fled with $100, according to the indictment.

Four days later, a gunman entered Jackson Village Pizza at 10 p.m., where the weapon was pointed at an employee who was told to put money in a bag. Grant fled with $100, according to the indictment.

The last local robbery was 11 p.m. March 14 at Queen Village Pizza, where the suspect allegedly pulled out a gun, reached over and took $35 from the register.

The case was investigated by Darby Borough Police, Philadelphia Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation and is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Virgil B. Walker.


Nabbed

Police took two men into custody at the scene of a beating/robbery Saturday on the 2000 block of Darien Street.

When cops arrived at about 2 a.m., they heard someone screaming and allegedly saw the duo beating the man, Detective Danielle Tolliver of South Detectives said. The 43-year-old victim’s left pant pocket was ripped off and an undisclosed amount of cash was taken from him.

Hakeem Hickman, 22, from the 600 block of Fitzgerald Street, was nabbed along with Allen Travillion Jr., 23, from the 1500 block of South 20th Street. On Travillion, officers allegedly found a small amount of marijuana, Tolliver said.

Hickman was charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, robbery and theft. Travillion was slapped with criminal conspiracy, simple assault, aggravated assault, robbery, theft, recklessly endangering another person and possession for the alleged drug.

The victim told police the two accosted him as he was leaving a friend’s house on the 2000 block of Darien.

Despite cuts to his chin and arm, the victim did not require hospital care.


Trial wrapping up

Closing arguments were scheduled to take place at press time in the trial of three teens charged with the murder of a Starbucks’ manager authorities say they beat to death on a subway concourse at 13th and Market streets last year. Opening arguments began Aug. 17 in the trial of Ameer Best, Nashir Fisher and Kinta Stanton. A fourth teen, Rasheem Bell, 17 at the time of the incident, copped to third-degree murder and criminal conspiracy and was sentenced April 7 of last year.

Best, Fisher and Stanton were also 17 at the time of the incident that occurred at about 3 p.m. March 26 when police say they allegedly jumped and beat Sean Patrick Conroy, of the 1900 block of South 10th Street, triggering a fatal asthma attack caused by blunt force trauma to the head, according to the Medical Examiner’s Office. Conroy, 36, died at an area hospital following the confrontation.


Rydell charged with DUI

One of South Philly’s favorite sons may be facing driving under the influence charges in Montgomery County pending the outcome of toxicology results, according to published reports.

The 1950s and ’60s heartthrob known as Bobby Rydell crashed his car into a store on the 700 block of Montgomery Avenue in Penn Valley at about 4 p.m. Aug. 17, police said. Rydell was uninjured in the collision, but after failing a field sobriety test, the singer was taken into custody. The test results typically take up to eight weeks.

Rydell, born Robert Louis Ridarelli, hails from 11th and Porter streets.


Fumo to report Monday

A district judge denied former state Sen. Vince Fumo’s request for bail pending appeal or an extension of time to report to prison Aug. 31. The decision was handed down Aug. 20 by U.S. District Judge Ronald L. Buckwalter, U.S. Attorney spokeswoman Patty Hartman said.

Citing medical reasons, but not going into detail, Fumo filed the appeal. The move comes more than a month after Fumo was sentenced to 55 months in prison July 14.

As of press time, the former senator must report to the federal courthouse at Sixth and Market streets Monday.


Thirsty thief

A 76-year-old luckily escaped harm when a burglar entered her home by cutting the screen of a locked front door.

The woman was napping on the second floor of the dwelling on the 2600 block of South Darien Street and police believe the offender did not know she was home, Detective Danielle Tolliver of South Detectives said.

Occurring sometime between 2 and 5 p.m. Monday, the senior remained asleep during the robbery. When she awoke and came downstairs, she noticed the door cut and her purse containing $200, a Furby doll worth about $50 and a bottle of soda from the fridge missing.

Exit mobile version