2 arrested; 2 suspects sought in Pat’s beating death

A 28-year-old man was beaten to death at Pat’s Steaks allegedly following an altercation among soccer fans.

According to police, the victim, along with his father and a friend, were attending the Union vs. Club America soccer game in Chester a few hours prior to the altercation that took place at the famous cheesesteak restaurant at 1300 E. Passyunk Ave.

Police responded to a report of a person screaming at 1:56 a.m. on Sept. 16 and later found Isidro Cortez of Queens, New York unresponsive in the street, suffering from head trauma.  

Cortez was pronounced dead at the scene by medics while the victim’s 64-year-old father and another 28-year old male were taken to Jefferson University Hospital and placed in stable condition after receiving treatment for their minor injuries.

According to police, a preliminary investigation revealed that Cortez and his party were verbally arguing with four males who were wearing yellow Club America soccer jerseys. After the argument, the group of four men in the yellow jerseys assaulted Cortez by punching, kicking, and striking the decedent with a trash can metal lid, police said.

On Monday, police charged South Philly residents Omar Arce, 32, of the 2500 block of S. 11th St. and Jose Alberto Flores-Huerta, 33, of the 2100 block of S. 8th St. with murder, attempted murder and related offenses.

Active arrest warrants remain for Osvaldo “Willie” Pedraza, 34, of the 2600 block of E. Norris St., and Victor Pedraza, 32, of the 1200 block of S. Percy St. Both men are sought for murder, attempted to commit murder, criminal conspiracy, aggravated assault, simple assault and other charges.

The killing is the second this year at the iconic South Philly cheesesteak stop, as a 23-year-old was shot to death in July after an altercation between football fans.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Homicide Unit at 215-686-3334, dial 911, or leave an anonymous tip at 215-686-TIPS.

(This story was updated after charges were released by police.)